Call for Papers
Ireland and the Atlantic: Intercultural Contact and Conflict
The Canadian Association for Irish Studies (CAIS) invites proposal for presentations of twenty minutes in lengthas well as full panel discussionsfor its annual conference, to be held this year at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, 22-25 June 2005. The theme of the CAIS conference this year is Ireland and the Atlantic: Intercultural Contact and Conflict.
Possible topics, very broadly defined, include (but are not limited to):
- The Irish Atlantic: cultural, economic, literary, political, and/or social inter-relations and the formation of migratory routes between Ireland and any destination in the North, Central, or Southern Atlantic sphere.
- Irish Archipelagic Relations: cultural, economic, literary, political, and/or social inter-relations and the formation of migratory routes between Ireland and/or England, Scotland, and Wales.
- Ireland and Europe: Irish-European Atlantic migratory routes and conduits of cultural, economic, literary, political, and social exchange.
- Ireland and Canada: Irish-Canadian emigrant letters, historiography, literary history, print and popular culture, forms of nationalism, racialization of the Irish in Canada, research partnership, Ulster and Canada etc.
- Ireland and the Atlantic: Selected Topics
- Comparative historical or literary work on the Irish diaspora and/or other migrant groups in the Atlantic destinations to which they travelled
- Cultural hybridity and transfer in trans-Atlantic perspective
- Globalisation and immigration in comparative perspective
- Scots-Irish culture, history, and literature
- Trans-Atlantic Irish ethnicity and inter-cultural contact/conflict with other ethnic groups
The deadline for paper proposals is April 15th, 2005. Paper proposals should be 250-500 words in length, and sent either electronically or by post to:
Dr. Jason King
National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Maynooth, County Kildare